Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Back to School

Today is the first day of School (Fall Semester 2008), and the first semester that UVSC is officially UVU. Now, I am not a fanatic about UVSC becoming a University...I'm not going out and buying all the new things that have UVU printed all over them etc.. however, I truly think that UVSC has held a high standard of education, and is a great school.I Went to UVSC the semester after I graduated from High School for one reason. UVSC had a good nursing program that allowed a higher percentage of students into the nursing program and to graduate with the degree than BYU or any other local schools. ( I wanted to stay local :) For anyone who knows me, you know that I love Utah!)

As time went on I drifted farther away from wanting to go into nursing and started to gain a desire to go into the deaf studies program. I love American Sign Language(ASL). I took ASL through Provo High School and had 2 very different, but VERY wonderful teachers,

MissGriffin/Mrs Wilkins
(She WAS Miss Griffin the first year I had her, then she became MRS Wilkins, and now she has a cute family!) ( Note to Mrs Wilkins: If you happen to read this post, don't kill me when you see I stole your picture off your blog! :) I didn't have any pictures!)


and
Miss Bastian

(Katelin & Miss Bastian PHS Graduation May 2006)

They were both wonderful teachers who helped me understand and learn to love ASL. Later in college I also met one of my best friends, Randi Pippins. She is deaf. I met her in my ASL 2020 class my first semester at UVSC. She helped me learn the ins and outs in ASL. Through her I was able to have a real life experience with deaf culture and learn to love it even more...not to mention I got a wonderful friend.
(Randi Pippins, and her hearing dog (when he was a puppy) Rudolph.)


I am now going into the Deaf Studies program with an emphasis on secondary education. UVSC started offering the deaf studies program in 2006! Whoo Hoo!

Nick has a very different story about how he got to UVSC. When Nick was a senior in high school he was told by people that he grew up with that he would never be able to get into BYU when he graduated. Well, he is the type of person that really enjoys proving people wrong. :) When he graduated from Springville High School in 2003, the time came to apply for college and he filled out the application to BYU and sent it in. Later, he got a letter of acceptance, and found out that
he had been accepted to go to BYU. He took that letter and showed all the people that told him he couldn't do it, and then threw it away and went to UVSC. haha! Im not sure why he wanted to go to UVSC, I guess he will have to add to this post :) The funniest part about all this is, now that he has a better idea of what he is going to go into (Computer science and business management, double majoring in Russian) he will probably end up transferring over to BYU. :)


Picture above:
( Nicks High School Graduation May 2003. With Kira, Alex, Nathan, Tucker, and Chris)



Well, I guess we all have our stories and we all end up in different places for a reason. As long as we reach for our goals we are going the right direction, right?

Like I said earlier, School starts today. Nick and I will both be going to School this semester along with working. It should be an exciting semester! :D


Katelin:
ASL Linguistics 3050
Math
Political Science
Health
Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith










Nick:

English/Writing 2010
Political Science
Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith





( Working graves its kinda hard to go to school, work,and sleep, poor guy.) :D



- Kate & Nick-

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Good luck with the new semester! and no I don't mind you "stealing" my picture from my blog.
You'll have to let me know how your ASL classes go and everything you learn. I'm sure you'll be able to teach me some stuff :-)