Saturday, July 25, 2009

Reactions From the BIG News

We will start with my reaction, since I was the first to know my little surprise. Nick and I decided it was about time for us to start a family, shortly after making our decision I realized that mother nature had not sent my monthly gift....

Well, Have you guys seen the commercial where they say "1 in 4 women misread pregnancy tests."? I am afraid I am going to have to admit to be one of them. After a negative test result I decided I better call the doctor to make an apt. to find out what was going on. (TMI coming up. Skip the next sentence if you dont want to know more about me than you HAVE to.) I had always run like clock-work, and being over 2 weeks late was VERY unusual for me. The doctors office said they had an opening right then, and asked me to come in. They did a few blood tests, 1 of them being a HCG hormone test. After being poked I went home to wait for the results (due back the next day). Once I got home I went in the bathroom to clip a fingernail that had broken. I picked up the garbage can and set it on the counter. That is when I saw it, not 1 but TWO lines. One dark line, and one very faint line. I couldn't believe it. Sure enough the test came back the next day positive. It was time to tell Nick.

Even though the thought of "we might be having a baby soon." had crossed his mind he was still pretty surprised to find out he was going to be a Dad. I went to the store and got a few balloons, including one that said "Happy Dads Day" and attached the positive test results to them. I left them in the doorway so that when he opened the door after coming home from work he would see them. As Nick was leaving work he called and told me he had had a pretty rough day... the thought, "Hurry, hide the balloons and test results and tell him another day" crossed mind. Then I had the urge to say, "Well sweetie, its about to get more stressful so brace yourself." I didn't do either, I went with the original plan and just left the balloons there for him to see. :) As he walked in the door he saw the balloons and said "Does 1 line mean you're pregnant? (so if he were a woman, he would be 1 in 4 too) :) After pointing out the 2nd line I could see it all processing :) After a night of sleep he was able to come of of shock, and get excited. :)
Me- Check
Nick- Check
Parents-Here goes nothing.....

A few days later Nick and I went out and got 2 I love Grandma bibs and 2 little hand print kits. Wrapped them all up and took em over to the parents to inform them of their new title as soon to be Grandma and Grandpa.

They were thrilled, and cant wait.

My parents don't think they are old enough yet, but they will get used to the idea. :)

(Sadly I wasnt able to get a picture of Nick's dads reaction, since his parents were not sitting close together. However, he caught on pretty fast as he started asking "Are you guys pregnant?!" over and over. We ignored him for a few minuets until Nick's mom caught on and started asking too. It was pretty funny)

After waiting about 2 1/2 more months we were able to go get an early ultrasound where we were able to hear the and see the baby and the heartbeat ( beating at 171.85 beats per min)
After knowing the heart was beating and everything was looking good we bought a bunch of baby bottles and filled them up with sour patch kids to break it to the brothers, and sisters.

Everyone reacted really well, and was excited for us. Making it a great experience!

Questions I have been asked the last few weeks:

1-How are you feeling?
Answer: Honestly. Sometimes I think I am really going to die of nausea and heartburn. But everyone keeps telling me its worth it, so I guess I will just have to wait and see. (**wink**) If anyone has any tips for foods you were able to hold down...PLEASE send em' my way!

2-When will you find out what your having.
Answer: Were having a baby. As far as gender goes....We will be finding out Feb 15th (ish) when its born. ( I know you're all saying, "They are crazy!" But, Nick and I really like the idea of having it be a surprise, cant change it anyway so why ruin the surprise early? :)

Well, thats the update. I am sure there will be many more to come. We are SO excited and just cant wait.

5 comments:

Laura said...

oh my goodness you preggie girl!!! kyle and i are very excited for you guys. being parents is the biggest adventure/reward, ever! take one or two tums (with calcium in them)before you eat. that should take care of your heartburn. i had it the worst towards the end of my pregnancy. take saltine crackers for the nausea. worked great for me.

stacy said...

You want me to wait over six months to find out what the baby is? I already started to pick things up and I can't personalize them til you know. You are killing me! As far as sickness goes, I know everything and nothing. Just keep trying things. (Or be like me and resign yourself to the fact that you can't eat forf six months.)

Mandi said...

Wow, Kate. I love hearing all of the ways you told your fam. You are so clever. You are already an artsy fartsy mom.

Ali said...

Oh my gosh, you are pregnant?! That is so exciting. It's pretty hard for me to wrap my mind around my childhood best friend that i used to play barbies with, and get into all sorts of mischief with is having a baby, but i am SO excited for you. Congratulations!

a.men said...

Yeah! I am so happy for you! We always went for the surprise too. It makes it really fun, and either way you are going to have a baby.

I am sorry you are sick, I have been there. I drank A LOT of Mylanta for heartburn. I have never tried "Preggie-Pops" (get them at Motherhood Maternity in the mall) but I have heard other who have and they work. Good Luck!